Facilities and Institutes
The Computing, Environment, and Life Sciences Directorate is home to a number of user facilities and joint institutes.
- The Argonne Leadership Computing Facility (ALCF) provides researchers from national laboratories, academia, and industry with access to high performance computing capabilities – some of the most powerful in the world – to conduct breakthrough science and engineering research.
- The ARM Climate Research Facility is the world’s premier ground-based observations facility advancing climate change research.
- The Computation Institute (CI) is a groundbreaking, transdisciplinary joint initiative of the University of Chicago and Argonne National Laboratory dedicated to pushing the frontiers of knowledge through the application of cutting-edge computational science.
- The Institute for Genomics and Structural Biology (IGSB) is a joint institute of the University of Chicago and Argonne National Laboratory whose mission is to accelerate the translation of basic discoveries in genome science into practical benefits for society.
- The Advanced Protein Characterization Facility (APCF) is Argonne's one-stop resource for genomic research, macromolecular crystallography, and synthetic biology.
- The Laboratory Computing Resource Center (LCRC) offers high performance computing (HPC) capabilities for Argonne's programs and helps grow HPC expertise at the laboratory.
- The Midwest Center for Structural Genomics (MCSG) was established in 2000 as a part of the Protein Structure Initiative (PSI) and for the past decade has collaborated with the biological community and developed enabling technology to address problems related to microbial pathogenesis, microbial metabolism, microbe-host interactions, and human disease.
- The Northwestern-Argonne Institute for Science and Engineering (NAISE) fosters research collaborations in energy, biological and environmental systems, and national security and provides students with unique educational opportunities.
- The Structural Biology Center (SBC) operates a national user facility for macromolecular crystallography at Sector 19 of the Advanced Photon Source at Argonne National Laboratory.
- The Joint Laboratory for System Evaluation manages joint ALCF and MCS computing and computational science activities at Argonne National Laboratory aimed at evaluating future hardware and software platforms.